Welcome to

St. MARY THE VIRGIN CHURCH, PERIVALE
St. Mary the Virgin Church Perivale

Just south of the A40 tucked away off a leafy pathway leading from Perivale Lane is the Grade I listed Church of St. Mary the Virgin one of the smallest and oldest churches in Middlesex dating from the 12th Century.

The earliest church structure (the Nave) was a simple barnlike structure erected in 1135 and the Chancel was added in 1250. The Tower was built in 1510. The organ was installed in the Chancel in 1870. There is a Tudor font dating from 1495.

On the first floor of the Tower there is a permanent exhibition of historical artefacts with a direct association with the Church. The Church is open between 2.15 pm to 5.00 pm on Sundays.

the church of st. mary the virgin, perivale
The Nave and Chancel -Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Perivale Sadly, in 1972, the Church closed for regular worship having served the local community for over 800 years.

Between 1972 and 1976 there was much vandalism around the unused church.

However, St. Mary's was rescued by a group of volunteers who created the Friends of St. Marys who are now responsible for the preservation of the church and who run a lively program of events which helps fund and sustain the life of St. Mary's.

The Ealing Quilt (made in 1998)

This quilt hangs in the Nave - each panel depicting a different scene of Ealing Borough locations.

Each panel was sewn by a local individual .

The Ealing Quilt - Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Perivale

The earliest readable inscription in the churchyard dates from 1683. During the 18th and 19th centuries the churchyard became a popular and convenient place of burial for the middle-class inhabitants of London who had no connection with the district and in 1906 the small churchyard had become full

Of particular interest is the tomb of Elizabeth Colleton who died in 1721 In 1999 the tomb was deemed to be on the list of special architectural or historic interest).
see The Legend of The Maiden's Tomb

The oldest pieces of stained glass (representing St. Mary and St. John) are located in the North Wall window in the Chancel.

The East Window (depicted right) is in fact 20th Century - a replacement for the original window which was destroyed when the Chancel subsised in 1965.

The window on the South wall is a double memorial to Mabel Amy Hughes and Edith Constance Hughes who died in 1866 and 1868 respectively.

Another window in the South wall, Pre-Raphaelite in style, is a tribute to Henry and Alfred Hughes who both died in 1871

The East Window - Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Perivale
The Ancient Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Perivale
The Cemetery - Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Perivale

Home | | History | Attractions | Books | Links

FREE entry to over 50 top London attractions!
© Copyright Greenford Media Limited 1998-2005
No unauthorised use of photographs may be made without the express permission of the copyright holder