There are a few theories as to how Perivale was so named. The most likely is that it is derived from Greneforde Parva (a locality mentioned in the Domesday Book, where it is described as an apple orchard.
It is known that 2500 years ago Iron Age people settled on what today is called Horsenden Hill as large amounts of pottery have been discovered. In fact, In 1978 The Iron Age settlement on Horsenden Hill was declared as an Ancient Scheduled monument by English Heritage.
It was probably during Saxon times that the hill acquired its name originally "Horsingdon" - the last syllable don meaning hill fortress.
Following the Norman Conquest in 1066, Geoffrey de Mandeville was rewarded for his services to William the Conqueror with land including Greenforde Parva.
The Church of St. Mary the Virgin was built in 1135 although the structure (now the Nave of the current Church) was a simple barnlike structure. The Chancel was added in 1250.
It was during the reigh of Henry VIII that the locality's name changed from Greenforde Parva to Perivale.
In 1821, the population census showed that there were only 25 inhabitants in Perivale and this had only grown to 32 in the 1851 census. Indeed Kelly's Directory in records the population as 31 with 4 inhabitated houses for the year 1881.
Such was the charm of the countryside that by the end of the 19th century more and more Londoners were discovering the area. The Great Western Railway opened a small halt at Perivale on the Paddington to High Wycombe line and this was later developed to a conventional station in 1908.
In the 1926 the parish of Perivale (also Greenford and West Twyford) were brought within the London Borough of Ealing.
One of the most significant development to affect the area was the building of a highway westwards out of London - The Western Avenue (now A40 dual carriageway). Alongside this highway new factories were being built typically in Art Deco style.
© Copyright Greenford Media Limited 1998-2005